July 6, 2010

'When the turtle dies...

...the whole world will die'. Something I found on the net when I was searching for an answer on what happened to my two turtles last sunday. I came home and found both of them without movement and open eyes in the warm water. I don't have to tell what a shock it brought to my little heart...last days were very strange, lonely and gave me an empty feeling. After one day we burried them in a little box somewhere on a quiet spot in the garden. I felt broken...because their lives mean also a huge part of my life. I tried to do my best to give them a comfortable life after receiving them as a gift from my brother so many years ago. I always loved turtles...but when I look back now, I now very well that these animals aren't to be sold in shops...just like so many other species. We, humans, think we can care about everything in this world...but we cannot have those huge hands as nature itself, I guess. Pinta & Baltra, named after two isles of the Galapagos Archipel, will live forever in my memories...I had such nice moments with them...like the drawing wants to tell...touching Baltra's head was one of his favourite rituals...will miss them!

5 comments:

roberto M. said...

Kathy, qué triste, pero es cierto lo que decís, pasa que los seres humanos nos creemos todopoderosos y dueños de todo, imagínate que nos creemos dueños del planeta!! y lamentablemente, como dices, no tenemos las manos de la Naturaleza.
Y posiblemente ese amor y respeto por la tierra, que todavía sienten algunas comunidades, lo habrás visto acá en América, y ha ser en otros lugares también, decía, ese amor, creo que el hombre lo ha ido perdiendo poco a poco, como esos matrimonios que después de tantos años perdieron el amor y siguen juntos por costumbre... el hombre perdió el amor por la tierra, ha de ser la costumbre, total ella da todo y no pide nada... pero ya va a pedir, y ese día nos daremos cuenta de todo lo mal que la tratamos. una vez leí que la cantidad de habitantes de una comunidad está relacionada con el tamaño, por ej. puede haber millones de hormigas, pero no puede haber millones de elefantes. y para el tamaño de los seres humanos, parece que estamos siendo muchos, contaminamos, no dejamos lugar para las otras especies etc.
Bueno me fui por las ramas!!!
No las reemplaces eh, solamente por dos tortugas de peluche!! jaja

Jess said...

I'm sorry to hear this. You've made a lovely drawing in their memory, so tender :)x

Stefania said...

Losiento muchisimo ... yo tanbièn tengo una de esas tortugas de agua , adoptada despues de ser abandonada en estado de desidratacion , ahora està en su piscina afuera ... la quiero mucho , te comprendo ... se han ido juntas a nadas en ese gran lago del despues de la vida... te abrazo ...

aafke7 said...

... met schitterend funeraire muziek! Prachtig! En de eerste woorden zijn zo waarachtig en herkenbaar!
...jammer he?
Groetjes

Škorčica said...

So sorry to hear this!

I think with the bees is the same - I heard that if they would die, soon after that people would follow.

Touching illustration...